If you’re anything like us, or anyone of the women we know, in the back of your cupboards and drawers, are hiding outfits that don’t fit anymore, items that you’ll never wear again, or perhaps even those you’ve never worn and now you never will as the occasion or season has passed.
Open your wardrobe now and be honest. How long was it since you last wore some of those clothes? Do you think it might be time for a clear out?
If you were brutal, you’ll probably manage to fill a bin-bag or two with clothes you no longer want or need. But what then?
Fast fashion leads to a mountain of clothing being thrown away each year and has a huge impact on the environment – but how do you turn your unwanted garments into something useful?
This is how Trading In Style started – a simple idea to help women turn their unwanted clothing and accessories into spare cash, clothing resale is so much better for the environment and, with our help, is super simple and closet cleansing makes you FEEL GOOD (and makes room for new purchases of course and removes the guilt)!
When should I do a wardrobe cleanse?
RIGHT NOW! Summer is just around the corner. Entering a new season is THE perfect time for a wardrobe refresh.
Starting a new season with an organised wardrobe, free from clutter and all those pieces you know you’ll never wear again makes getting dressed each day pleasurable again – and it’s exciting to rediscover gems that you may have forgotten about.
Eeek – this is hard! How do I start?
If you have some time, we suggest going to your wardrobe and turning every coat hanger around the wrong way. Then each time you wear a piece hang it back the right way. After three months you will be able to see what you wear and what you don’t.
If you’re time poor (aren’t we all) and are feeling ruthless - start with a section of your closet, for example tops and tees. This is great time for uncovering some buried treasures you had forgotten you had. And if something doesn’t fit or you haven’t worn in at least year? Get rid of it.
Then follow these steps.
Step 1. Divide all tops & tees into 4 piles:
- KEEP - anything that you love and that you are going to wear again and again
- RESALE - anything that has resale value, in excellent condition that you want to rehome
- CHARITY - anything that may not have resale value but someone else could enjoy, in great condition
- CHUCK – if the items are dis-coloured or are damaged and you wouldn't wear them, it's not fair to expect someone else would. Throw them out.
- Pack away past seasons items.
- Clean the inside of the wardrobe.
- Put current seasons items back into the wardrobe – grouped by colour, or style – this will make dressing in the morning so much quicker and easier.
TIS TOP TIP:
If you are struggling to let something go, try moving it into another room for a few weeks. If you find yourself missing it, then you know it's a keeper, if you’ve haven’t given it a second thought, you know what to do!
What are the best pieces for resale?
Essentially, think brand, style and condition when it comes to consigning your unwanted items.
At Trading In Style we pride ourselves in carefully curating pieces that are current, on trend, classic and/or wardrobe staples that our customers desire. The condition of the items is essential – if you wouldn’t buy it, we won’t sell it!
Our top selling items:
Luxury Handbags: particularly Gucci, Chanel, YSL, Hermes, Celine, Loewe.
Accessories: Hermes, Gucci, Lucy Folk, Balenciaga.
Mid to High-End Shoes: Golden Goose, Gucci, Valentino, Saint Laurent.
Jackets and Coats: Burberry, Max Mara, Celine, Moncler.
High-End Logo Tees: Gucci, Saint Laurent.
Dresses; Zimmermann: Ganni, Bassike, Lee Mathews.
Blazers: Camilla & Marc, Balmain.
More TIS Top Tips:
- Keep authenticity, receipts, boxes, dust bags for higher-end pieces, particularly accessories.
- Don't wait too long for the trend to pass, so that the item still has value.
- Make sure they are clean and in excellent condition.
- Dry clean prior to consigning if possible.
We are currently accepting summer items – now is the perfect time to resell your unwanted pieces, make some money, and pay it forward!